Japanese Studies: More Online Resources
[Comprehensive Academic Resource Portal Site]
- Japan: An Annotated Directory of Internet Resources (English)
Maintained by Dr. Robert Y. Eng, Professor of History, University of Redlands. A wide variety of topics is organized into major and sub categories, from culture and history to teaching and research.
- JGuide, Stanford Guide to Japan Information Resources (English and Japanese with English Portal)
The J Guide: Stanford Guide to Japan Information Resources is a topically arranged directory of online information resources in and about Japan, with focus on resources about Japan in the English language. The J Guide is an ongoing project of the US-Asia Technology Management Center (USATMC), School of Engineering, and Stanford University.
- Portal to Internet Resources (English)
Committed to directing users to Asian area content in the humanities and social sciences, the Portal to Asian Internet Resources (PAIR) is supported by an impressive complement of area studies scholars, bibliographers and subject selectors based at the libraries of the University of Wisconsin, the University of Minnesota and the Ohio State University.
- The Asian Studies WWW Monitor (English)
The Australian National University. Provides virtually daily abstracts and reviews of new/updated online resources of significance to research, teaching and communications dealing with Asian Studies.
Listed the reference materials (hardcopies) held in the National Diet Library.
[Japanese Cinema Academic Research Portal Site]
- Kinema Club (English)
An academic research portal site for Japanese Movies, including database for books and articles, teaching tool, critics for Japanese cinemas written in English.
[Information about Japan]
- Web Japan (multilingual, including English)
Gateway to a wide variety of information on Japan. Web Japan was launched with the aim of helping people around the world get to know more about Japan and the Japanese. With more than about 300 million hits per year from around the world, it has become one of Japan’s leading web sites for information on the country. Sponsored by the Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) and operated by a Japanese non government organization.
- Nipponia にっぽにあ (multi-Lingual, including Japanese and English)
- NationMaster.com Asia>>Japan (English)
A massive central data source and a handy way to graphically compare nations.
- Rikai.com (English Interface)
A Web tool that helps a reader get the reading and meaning of Japanese Kanji, like using as a web-based Japanese dictionary.
- Jim Breen's WWWJDIC (English and Japanese Interfaces)
Japanese-English dictionary server
- POP jisyo (Multi-languages)
Web based pop-up dictionary for Japanese, Chinese, Korean and other languages.
- 英辞郎 on the web, Space ALC スペースアルク (Japanese Interface)
Japanese-English and English-Japanese dictionaries.
- Infoseek 楽天マルチ辞書 (Japanese Interface)
Dictionaries plus kana-search.
- goo 辞書 (Japanese Interface)
- ビジネス英語辞書, Space ALC スペースアルク (Japanese Interface)
Dictionaries for Business English/Japanese.
- Japanese Text Initiative (Japanese; English and Japanese Interfaces)
(University of Virginia, Electronic Text Center, and University of Pittsburgh, East Asia Library)
This site includes the classic texts of Japanese literature and history. They are digitized transcriptions of original Japanese texts, from Kokin Wakashu, Hyakunin Isshu, The Tale of Genji, to Love Suicides at Sonezaki by Chikamatsu, Floating Clouds by Futabatei. Complete list of the Collection available. Users also are able to search multiple texts by common topics or phrases.
- Aozora Bunko 青空文庫 (Japanese)
Pre-modern and modern Japanese texts can be read through this site.
[Japanese Public Opinion Database]
- Japanese Data Archive, JPOLL (Japanese translated into English; Free service, but need registration)
The Roper Center for Public Opinion Research, based at the University of Connecticut.
JPOLL, the comprehensive database of Japanese public opinion data, is currently supported by funding from the United States-Japan Foundation. This resource, combined with the Roper Center's US public opinion database (POLL), will help to facilitate more comparative social science research. Contains more than 10,000 public opinion questions and the respective responses from Japan's major survey research sources, including the capacity to view the complete text of questions and responses, translated into English, as well as all relevant study-level information. Covers social, political, and economic topics throughout the current decade. Search by keywords, topics, dates, and organizations as search criteria.
[Digital Archive (Images and Texts)]
- Japanese Historical Text Initiative (Japanese with English Translation)
University of California at Berkeley.
This site is digitized, searchable database of Japanese historical documents with their English translation, such as Kojiki.
- Japanese Historical Maps (Japanese; portal language in English)
The Japanese Historical Map Collection contains about 2,300 early maps of Japan and the World. The collection was acquired by the University of California from the Mitsui family in 1949, and is housed on the Berkeley campus in the East Asian Library. Represented in this online collection are over 1100 images of maps and books from this Collection, scanned and put online by David Rumsey and Cartography Associates.
- National Diet Library Digital Archive Portal (PORTA) (English and Japanese)
Data of digital libraries hold specific materials. Search digital archives in Japan comprehensively.
- National Archives of Japan Digital Archive 国立公文書館デジタルアーカイブ (Japanese; Japanese and English Interfaces)
Includes Digital Archive System (descriptions and digitized images of the records preserved by the National Archives of Japan), Digital Gallery (digitized images of the materials which are designated Important Cultural Properties, or large-sized or colorful materials).
- Cultural Heritage Online 文化遺産オンライン(Japanese)
A portal site for cultural heritages and properties in Japan maintained by Agency for Cultural Affairs (文化庁), including digital archive of these heritages, museums information in Japan.
- Classical Literature Database, Japanese and Chinese Classics 古典籍総合データベース (早稲田大学) (Japanese)
Database for Japanese and Chinese Classic and pre-Modern Literature, Art, and History Collection in Waseda University Library, including digital images.
- Digital Library from the Meiji Era 近代デジタルライブラリー (国立国会図書館)(Japanese)
Digital Archive of pre-modern resources in the National Diet Library of Japan.
Other Useful Information
- The Association for Asian Studies
- The Council on East Asian Libraries
- The Japan Foundation
- JETRO (USA)
[Social Network] (Wiki, Blogs, Listserv, Forum, etc.)
- Japanese Collections, The Ohio State University Libraries (English)
Authored by Maureen Donovan, Japanese Studies Librarian & Associate Professor. Not only her blog entry, but also all the resource links available within the OS Libraries or open to public are organized in the page.
- NIHON KENKYU at PITT (English)
Authored by Hiroyuki Nagahashi Good (グッド長橋広行), a Japanese Bibliographer at the East Asian Library of the University of Pittsburgh. Listed useful information on Japanese resources, including available everyone through internet.
- web日本語 (Japanese, English)
"Web-Nihongo" is a site dedicated to enjoying the Japanese language, built together by yourselves and the Shogakukan Dictionary Editorial Department staff.
- 日本の古本屋さん (Japanese)
A database to search out-of-print books in Japanese booksellers.
- Book Sellers and Publishers (Japan Resources, Reischauer Institute of Japanese Studies) (Japanese)
[Japanese Movie Database]
- Japanese Cinema Database (JCDB)日本映画情報システム(Japanese)
Maintained by Agency for Cultural Affairs (文化庁). Database for Japanese movies released in the theaters in Japan. Includes link to the databases of MovieWalker - Kinema Junpo, Japan Association of Audio Visual Producers, Inc., National Film Center, The National Museum of Modern Art, Tokyo (see below).
- Japanese Movie Database 日本映画データベース (Japanese)
- Motion Picture Producers Association of Japan 映連データベース (Japanese)
- MovieWalker - Kinema Junpo キネマ旬報データベース(Japanese)
- Japan Association of Audio Visual Producers, Inc. 映像文化製作者連盟登録作品データベース (Japanese)
- National Film Center, The National Museum of Modern Art, Tokyo 東京国立近代美術館フィルムセンター 所蔵映画フィルム検索 (Japanese)
Catalog for the Japanese film collection in the National Film Center.
[Digital Archive, Contemporary Japanese Products]
- ニッポンスタイル (Japanese)
Digital Archive for products made in Japan from 1945 to current, from automobile to cosmetics and sweets. All the products accompanied with product information/description.