Finding Political Cartoons in ProQuest Newspaper Databases
www.lib.utexas.edu > Research Tools > Databases and Indexes to Articles > P
- The ProQuest Newspapers databases contain comprehensive historical coverage of three of the most important U.S. newspapers:
1) Historical New York Times 1851-2004
2) Historical Washington Post 1877-1990
3) Historical Los Angeles Times 1881-1985
4) Los Angeles Times (current) 1986-present
- On the main page, enter your terms in the search field. On the Document type menu, click 'Editorial_cartoon'. NOTE: you cannot search both Historical Newspapers and Current Newspapers at the same time.
- If you are searching a Historical Newspaper database, the search results will be sorted by Relevance as the default. You can re-sort the search results using the 'Sort results by' dropdown menu.
- Each search result lists a brief citation of the editorial cartoon. Many editorial cartoons are untitled. Click on 'Full-text - PDF' under the cartoon you wish to view. At the top of the cartoon there will appear further options for viewing the cartoon, including 'Page view' which will give you a view of the newspaper section the cartoon appeared in.
- 'Page view (clickable)' allows you to click on other articles/images that appeared on the same page as the cartoon.
- The Citation is an extended citation of the editorial cartoon, including date and publication information.
Need help? Ask A Librarian.