Teaching to All Types
You don't have to design each activity or class component to reach every learning style. However, your class as a whole should be diverse enough to reach everyone. Here are some tips for achieving that goal:
- Use images, diagrams, demonstrations, screen projections AND provide oral and written explanations.
- Offer a handout that summarizes presented information and gives directions to repeat the skills that were demonstrated.
- Provide class time for active student participation.
- Encourage students to work in groups.
- Periodically pause to give students time to process what you've shown them and ask questions.
- Include both conceptual and concrete information. Explain the abstract ideas and then try to connect them to something in the "real" world.
- Present material in a logical, sequential manner, but take time to point out the connections between this information/process and other areas where this knowledge is relevant.