Where Do You Start?
Start with what you know! You don't have to design a new instruction session from the ground up. Just take a successful class plan that you have already been using, and build in active learning exercises. Here's an example of how you could proceed:
- Review your material and determine which 2 or 3 concepts are the most important for your students to learn.
- Develop simple activities to reinforce each of these concepts.
- Schedule the activities to take place directly after you've conveyed the related information.
- Walk through the activity yourself a few times before the session - or run it by a colleague.
- Schedule time to review and discuss the activity with your students. This will give you an opportunity to evaluate student learning and the success of your activity.