International Pharmaceutical Abstracts
EBSCO WEB ACCESS Help Sheet
About International Pharmaceutical
Part One: Search Basics
Two: Using the Results
International Pharmaceutical Abstracts (IPA),
developed by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists, provides citations
to articles on drug therapy, toxicity, and pharmacy practice, as well as legislation,
regulation, technology, utilization, biopharmaceutics, information processing,
education, economics, and ethics as related to pharmaceutical science and practice.
More than 750 pharmaceutical, medical and health-related journals are indexed.
Coverage is 1970 to present. This database is updated monthly on EBSCOhost.
- International Pharmaceutical Abstracts can
be accessed from the UT Library Online
- Click on the Databases and Indexes to
Articles link under Finding Information to go to an alphabetical
listing of databases.
- From off-campus, you will be prompted to enter
your UT EID number.
- Click on "I" from the alphabetical list and
click on International Pharmaceutical Abstracts (IPA) - (EBSCO)
- *For articles dealing with pharmacology
or clinical use of drugs, consult MEDLINE for more thorough coverage.*
Part One: Search
When you access IPA you will see
the Advanced Search screen open on your computer.
- Identify keywords from your information needs.
E.g.: The history of pharmacy in Texas. Keywords: history; Texas.
(Pharmacy would not normally be included since it is assumed almost all articles
in the database deal with this general topic.
- Think about TRUNCATION when constructing your search. * (asterisk) : "disease*" will retrieve diseases, diseased, etc.
- Click in the blank search boxes provided. Enter
your search term (s)(or phrase).
- Use the drop-down menu to combine keywords
for Boolean searching. (Using AND, OR, NOT to focus the
- When you have entered the search terms, click
on the button.
- Use the drop-down menu to choose
specific search fields. This is a way to LIMIT your results and be
more specific in your search.
- You also have the option to search by subject,
drug name, and company by clicking on the appropriate tabs.
- More search limits (ways to narrow your search)
are available below the search entry fields: useful limiters include limiting
to a particular journal title and dates.
- IMPORTANT: Do NOT use the Full-Text
Limiter because there are no fulltext articles in the IPA database.
to Life Science Library Home Page
URL : http://www.lib.utexas.edu/lsl/ipa/ipa_ebsco.html
Created 8/02, last updated 10/02/02
Send comments or suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Life Science Library, The University of Texas at Austin.