CHANT is a collection of databases of traditional and excavated ancient Chinese texts, produced by the Research Centre for Chinese Ancient Texts at the Chinese University of Hong Kong (香港中文大學中國古籍研究中心). It provides searchable full text and some image files for a wide range of early Chinese materials. Eleven databases in three categories are now available in CHANT:
- 出土文獻 (Excavated texts)
- 甲骨文 (Oracular inscriptions on tortoise shells and bones)
- 金文 (Bronze inscriptions)
- 竹簡帛書 (Excavated wood, bamboo, and silk texts) I.
- 竹簡帛書 (Excavated wood, bamboo, and silk texts) II.
- 傳世文獻 (Traditional texts)
- 先秦兩漢 (Entire body of extant Han and pre-Han traditional Chinese Texts)
- 魏晉南北朝 (Traditional Chinese texts of Wei, Jin, and Northern and Southern Dynasties)
- 類書 (Encyclopedias) Includes about 50 類書 (from Sui, Tang to Ming, Qing dynasties)
- 綜合研究 (General studies)
- 詞彙 (vocabulary): Covers 1,963,674 terms, including 548,892 from ancient texts.
Additional information about this resource is available on the CHANT web site.
Technical requirements: Use Internet Explorer 8.0 or above with 800 x 600 or better resolution. Traditional Chinese character input method editor is required for searching. Font installation is required for proper display and is available from the site. Different databases require different fonts. The download page lists the required fonts by database.
Click “機構用戶登錄” to enter the program.