Virtual Field Trip Guides : United States and Canada
South and Southwest United States
NM & TX | Southwest, AZ, GrandCanyon, & Four Corners
New Mexico and Texas
Crater Volcano. New Mexico volcano near El Paso, Texas.
Lava Flows. New Mexico near El Paso, Texas.
- Albuquerque's Environmental Story. New Mexico. Includes Climate & Weather, Geology, Ecology.
- Are you up to the climb to Telephone Canyon? Big Bend Virtual Field Trip. Francis Redfern, Professor of Physics, Texarkana College.
- Balcones Escarpment. Multidisciplinary information about geology, hydrology, biology, and culture surrounding the region. Texas.
- Big Bend National Park Virtual Feild Trip. Texas A&M Department of Geology.
Mountain. Cinder cone volcano in New Mexico near El Paso, Texas.
- Brazos River -- Brazos Bend
State Park, Texas: Fluvial sedimenation in a meandering river floodplain. Near Houston, Texas.
- Brief Geological History of the El Paso-Juarez (ELP-J) Region. Texas.
- Carlsbad Caverns. National Park, New Mexico.
- Carrizozo Malpais.Basaltic lava flow in New Mexico.
- Coal Geology of the Paleocene-Eocene Calvert Bluff Formation (Wilcox Group) and the Eocene Manning Formation (Jackson Group) in East-Central Texas: 1995 Field Trip for The Society for Organic Petrology, U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 95-595.
- Cucharas Pass and Trinchera Peak. Northern New Mexico
Canyon - Sitting Bull Falls - Rocky Arroyo Geologic Road Log. Texas and New Mexico.
- E-rock. A virtual field trip to Enchanted Rock State Natural Area, brought to you by Rob's Granite Page. Texas.
- El Paso, Texas - Carlsbad, New Mexico Geologic Road Log.
- Franklin Mountains of El Paso, Texas.
- Geologic Wonders of Texas.
- Guidebook to the Geology of Travis
County. Includes geologic history, rocks, Balcones Fault Zone, Pilot Knob, and fossil collecting in the Austin area. Texas.
Geological Society: a Virtual Field Trip to Sites of Geologic Interest in the Houston Area. Texas.
- Introduction and Virtual Geologic Field Trip to the Permian Reef Complex, Guadalupe and Delaware Mountains, New Mexico-West Texas.
- Kilbourne and Hunts Maar Volcanoes. New Mexico near El Paso, Texas.
- Llano Uplift. "Igneous and metamorphic heart of Texas." From Rob's Granite Page.
- Llano Uplift Mineral - Fossil Locations and Road Logs. Texas.
Canyon (Guadalupe Mountains National Park) Geologic Road Log. Texas and New Mexico.
- Permian Reef Complex (Delaware Basin) of West Texas.
- Tertiary Coals in South
Texas. Anomalous Cannel-Like Coals of Webb County (Claiborne Group, Eocene) and Lignites of Atascosa County (Jackson Group, Eocene) - Geologic Setting, Character, Source-rock and Coal-bed Methane Potential. 1999 AAPG Annual Convention Energy Minerals Division Field Trip # 15. U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 99-301.
- University of North Texas: GEOG 1610: Structural geology and landforms of Dallas County. Includes Taylor Marl, Austin Chalk, Eagle Ford Shale, and Woodbine Sandstone. Texas.
of Fire. Lava flow in New Mexico.
- Virtual Field Trip to the Basalts of the Zuni-Bandera Malpais. El Malpais National Monument, New Mexico.
- Virtual Field Trips to Big Bend National Park. Francis Redfern, Professor of Physics, Texarkana College.
- Virtual Geologic Tour of
New Mexico. New Mexico Bureau of Geology and Mineral Resources.
- Walking the Forty Acres: Building Stones -- Precambrian to Pleistocene. University of Texas at Austin campus.
- Walking the Forty Acres: Waller Creek Wilderness Trails and Adjuncts. University of Texas at Austin campus.
- Walnut Canyon (Carlsbad
Caverns), New Mexico, Geologic Road Log.
Southwest, Arizona, the Grand Canyon, and Four Corners
South and Southeast United States
Alabama, Appalachians, Carolina, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Ozarks, Tennessee, West Virginia
West and Pacific Coast United States
Rocky Mountains, Basin & Range, CO, ID, MT, NV & UT | OR & WA | CA
Rocky Mountains, Basin and Range, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Utah
- Bryce Canyon National Park. Utah.
- Bryce Canyon National Park and the Grand Staircase. PDF.
- Colorado Geology Photojournals: a Tribute to Colorado's Physical Past and Present.
of the Moon National Monument. Basaltic lava field. Idaho.
- Dash with the Dinosaurs: PDF. A Mountain Bike Trek to the
Purgatoire River Dinosaur Trackway and the Cretaceous–Tertiary
boundary Impact Layer of Southeastern Colorado.
La Junta and Trinidad, Colorado.
- Earth Science Week 1999: Field Trip #1 for Families and Rockhounds, Turbulent TImes in the Truckee Meadows. PDF. Near Reno, Nevada.
- Earth Science Week 2000: Geology along America's Loneliest Highway. PDF. A field trip for families and rockhounds. U.S. Highway 50: geology between Carson City and Sand Mountain, Nevada.
- Earth Science Week 2001 Field Trip #1: Peavine Peak - Geology, Plants, and Mining History. PDF. A field trip for families and rockhounds. Near Reno, Nevada.
- Earth Science Week 2001 Field Trip #2: Fossils and Ancient
Lakes. PDF.A field trip for families and rockhounds. Western Nevada.
- Earth Science Week Field Trip #2, October 16, 1999: What's Shakin' in the Neighborhood? Road Log . PDF. Faulting and earthquakes. Nevada.
- Energy resources and changing land use, Front Range of Colorado.AAPG-EMD field trip guide, in association with the 2001 AAPG-EMD Annual Meeting.
- Exploring East of the Summit: a Field Trip Guide to Steamboat Springs, Lake Tahoe,
and the Comstock Area. PDF. Nevada.
- Field Trip Guidebook on the Geology and Geologic Hazards of the Glenwood Springs Area, Colorado. PDF. Colorado.
- Flood Hazards of Manitou Springs, Colorado.
- Front Range Geologic Hazards Field Trip. PDF.Colorado.
- Geology 101 Field Trip, Fall 1995. Geology of Latah County, including Moscow, Idaho.
- Geology of Capitol Reef National Park. PDF. Utah.
- Geology of Colorado National Monument.PDF. Southwestern Colorado.
- Geology of Dinosaur National Monument.PDF. Utah and Colorado.
- Geology of Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument.PDF.
- Geology of the Moab Region (Arches, Dead Horse Point and Canyonlands). PDF.
- Geology of Zion National Park, Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park and Snow Canyon State Park.PDF.
- Geology, Water Quality, and Avalanche Hazards of the Ouray-Silverton
Area, Southwest Colorado. PDF. Earth Science Week Field Trip, October 9, 2000.
- Glacier National Park Virtual Field Trip. Alpine glacial landscapes. Montana.
- Goodsprings District. Spring Mountains, southern Nevada.
- Grand Teton National Park Index. Wyoming.
- Great Basin Paleozoic Carbonate Platform: Facies, Facies Transitions, Depositional Models, Platform Architecture, Sequence Stratigraphy, And Predictive Mineral Host Models PDF.Field Trip Guidebook – Metallogeny of the Great Basin Project, August 17–22, 2003. U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2004-1078.
- Indian Peaks, Colorado Front Range. Altitudinal variation of vegetation and glacial geomorphology.
- Laramide Structures along the Northeastern Flank of the Colorado Front
- Log for Joint SEPM-Colorado Scientific Society Field Trip, September 20-21, 1986: Late Paleozoic Sedimentation and Laramide Tectonics of the Sangre de Cristo Range, from Westcliffe to Crestone, Colorado. U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 01-249.
- Mineral Resources of Jefferson County. PDF. Colorado.
- Mineralogy of Latah County, Idaho.
- Rocky Mountain
Association of Geologists. Links to their photos and field trips.
- Singing and Booming Sand
Dunes of California and Nevada.
- Slides of the Fluorspor, Beryllium, and Uranium Deposits at Spor
Mountain, Utah .
- Symposium on the Geology of the Front Range : in honor of William A. Braddock.PDF. Colorado. Colorado Scientific Society, University of Colorado at Boulder, Colorado Geological Survey.
Pacific Coast: Oregon, and Washington
- Craton to Accreted Terranes: an Overview of Pacific Northwest Geology. Department of Geological Sciences, The University of Alabama. Spring 2010 Regional Geology Field Trip May 2010.
- Description: Newberry Volcano and Caldera, Oregon.
- Geology of North
Cascades National Park: Virtual Field Trips. North Cascade Highway (State Route 20), Baker Lake road, and Mount Baker Highway (State Route 542). Washington.
- Indian Heaven Volcanic Field, Washington. Volcanic field midway between Mount St. Helens and Mount Adams
Field Trip. Geological features of the High Lava Plains and Northern Basin and Range. Spring Class - Geology 161, Portland Community College. Oregon.
- Mount Hood, Oregon. History, construction of cone, glaciation, eruptive history, historical activity.
- Mount Rainier, Washington. Eruptive history, road log.
- Mount St. Helens, Washington. Eruptive history and volcanic activity.
- Mount St. Helens, Washington: Ape Cave Lava Tube.
- Mount St. Helens, Washington: Points of Interest.
Coast Range: Spring Field Trip. Geology 203, Portland Community College.
- Report: Field Trip Guide to the Central Oregon High Cascades.
- Report: Geologic History of Mount Hood Volcano, Oregon -- a Field-Trip Guidebook. U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 97-263.
- Report: Guide to Geologic Field Trip Between Lewiston, Idaho, and Kimberly, Oregon, Emphasizing the Columbia River Basalt Group.
- Report: Road Guide to Volcanic Deposits of Mount St. Helens and Vicinity. Online version of U.S. Geological Survey Bulletin 1859. Southwest Washington - Northwest Oregon.
- Spokane Valley - Rathdrum Prairie Aquifer. Idaho and Washington.
Pacific Coast: California
- Aerial Geology Tours of Eastern California. Bishop to Mono Lake, Bishop to Split Mountain, and Bishop to Deep Springs Valley and Sage Hen Flat (October 13, 2004). From Allen Glazner, a faculty member at University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- Beck Spring Iron Deposit. Kingston Range, California.
- Calico mining district. California.
Geotour: Online Geologic Field Trip Guides. California Geological Survey.
- Coastal Geology of Natural Bridges State Park. California.
- Coastal Erosion Field Trip. Solana Beach to Del Mar, San Diego County, California.
- Colosseum Mine. In Ivanpah mining district. California.
- CSULB's Geologic Tours of Southern California. California State University, Long Beach virtual field trips. Extension of introductory geology courses. Cajon Pass, Anza Borrego, Salton Trough, Palos Verdes Peninsula, Palmdale Roadcut, Pisgah Volcano, Badlands, Rainbow Basin, Lake Perris, Dana Point, Red Rock Canyon, Vasquez Rocks, RMW Paleo, St. Francis Dam, Kelso Sand Dunes.
- Death Valley National Park Virtual Geology Field Trip. U.S. Geological Survey. California. Arranged by Precambrian, Paleozoic, Mesozoic, Cenozoic, and present.
- Description: Lassen Peak Volcano, California.
- Earthquakes. Field trip of the Santa Cruz region after the 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake. California.
- Field Trip to Owens
Valley / Mammoth Lakes. Cenozoic/Mesozoic Volcanism of the Eastern Sierra Nevada.
- Geology and Coastal Hazards in the Northern
Monterey Bay, California. U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 00-438.
- Geology and Natural History of the San Francisco Bay Area: a Field-Trip Guidebook. U.S. Geological Survey Bulletin 2188.
- Geology Field Trip of San Diego County. Coast to Mountains. California.
- Geology of California's Golden Gate: a Virtual Field Trip.
- Geology of Mojave National Preserve. California.
- Geology of the Smith River. Virtual Trip through the Josephine Ophiolite. An example of a Geology field studeis course at College of the Redwoods, Eureka, California.
- Geology of Patrick's Point State Park. Humboldt County. By College of the Redwoods, California.
- Independence Dikes and Mafic Rocks of the Eastern Sierra. 1998 Geological Society of America Cordilleran Section Field Guidebook.
- Los Angeles Area Geology. California.
- Mohawk Mine. Ivanpah Mining District, California.
- Mountain Pass Rare Earth Mine. Ivanpah Mining District, California.
- Peninsula Geological Society , Mt. Shasta
and the Klamath Mountains Field Trip Photo Album and Guidebook.
- Peninsula Geological Society, Spring Field Trip 2000, Salina/Nacimiento Amalgamated Terrane, Big Sur Coast, Central California.
- Quaternary and
Late Pliocene Geology of the Death Valley Region: Recent Observations on Tectonics, Stratigraphy, and Lake Cycles (Guidebook for the 2001 Pacific Friends of the Pleistocene Fieldtrip). U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 01-0051.
- Quaternary Stratigraphy, Drainage-Basin Development, and Geomorphology of the Lake Manix Basin, Mojave Desert. Guidebook for Fall Field Trip, Friends of the Pleistocene, Pacific Cell, October 4-7, 2007.
- Roadside Geology of Yosemite Valley. California.
- San Andreas Fault and the San Francisco Bay Area.California.
- Snow White Talc Mine. California.
- USCS Campus Field Trip. Geology of campus at University of California Santa Cruz.
- Virtual Field Trip: San Andreas Fault and Hayward Fault, San Francisco Bay Area, California.
- Walking tour of the Calaveras Fault in Hollister, California. South of the San Francisco Bay area.
- War Eagle Mine. Near Tecopa, California.
- Waterman Mine. Near Barstow, California.
Northeast and Middle Atlantic United States
Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, New York
Central, Midwest, and Great Plains, United States
Illinois, Kansas, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin
Hawaii, United States
Alaska, United States
- Crowsnest Pass: a Virtual Field Trip. Crowsnest Pass on Highway 3 (Crowsnest Trail) west of Lethbridge, Alberta.
- Cypress Hills,
Alberta. Virtual Field Trip, Southeastern Alberta.
- Fossils of Nova
- Fossils of the Fundy
Coast. Canada's Digital Collections Program.
- Fundy National Park of Canada. Parks Canada.
- Geological Survey of Canada (open file 2161, field trip 6). Taken from a Field Trip Guidebook (8th IAGOD Symposium) on Geology and Ore Deposits of the Timmins District, Ontario.
- Kananaskis Country. University of Calgary.
- Milk River, Alberta.
Virtual Field Trip.
- Oldman River. Alberta.
- Sable Island.
Canada's Digital Collections Program.
- Virtual Fieldtrip of Lethbridge. Alberta.
- Virtual Field Trip of the Castle Crown Wilderness. Southwestern Alberta.
- Virtual Field Trip of the Landscapes
of Nova Scotia.
- Walking Tour of Rocks, Minerals and Building Stones of Prince Street,
Truro.Nova Scotia Department of Natural Resources, Mineral Resources Branch, Information Circular ME 21, 1988.
- Walking Tour of Rocks, Minerals and Landforms of Victoria
Nova Scotia Department of Natural Resources, Mineral Resources Branch, Information Circular ME 11, 1987.
- Waterton Lakes National Parks of Canada. Natural Wonders and Cultural Treasures.
- Waterton Lakes Virtual Field Trip.