HERBERT MILLER GREENE, FAIA
Known for his high standards for building design and construction, Herbert Miller Greene built over ninety projects throughout Texas and other U.S. cities, and founded one of the oldest continuously-operating architectural firms in Texas.
Born in 1871 in Huntington, Pennsylvania, Greene received a B.S. in Architecture from the University of Illinois in 1893. After practicing briefly in Peoria, Illinois, he moved to Dallas, where he established the firm Hubbell and Greene with architect James P. Hubbell. Together, they designed numerous buildings in a variety of architectural styles throughout Texas.
Greene played a prominent role in raising professional standards for architects in Texas. He was president of the Texas Chapter of the American Institute of Architects for two years and chaired a committee charged with improving architectural education at the University of Texas. In 1923, Greene was the first in Texas to be elected an AIA Fellow.
In 1922, Greene received a ten-year contract from the University of Texas at Austin to succeed the esteemed Cass Gilbert as university architect. With associates Edwin Bruce LaRoche and George L. Dahl, Greene worked on designs for over fifteen buildings on campus. In 1928, they formed the firm Greene, LaRoche and Dahl.
Outside of the office, Greene was an active member of the Masons, the Rotary Club and the Westminster Presbyterian Church. He died on February 8, 1932 while in Chicago.