Nicholas Clayton, FAIA (1840-1916)
Clayton, a native of Ireland, arrived in the United States in 1848 and began practicing architecture in Cincinnati after the Civil War. While employed at a Memphis firm, he was sent to Galveston to supervise construction of the First Presbyterian Church. He became the premier architect in Galveston and designed numerous buildings in the High Victorian style including the Gresham Residence, more commonly known as the Bishop’s Palace (1886-91), the Adoue and Lobit Building (1890-91), and the Galveston News Building (1883-84). His work is represented in the archive by over 400 drawings.
Walter Gresham Residence, 1890
Galveston, Texas
N. J. Clayton & Co., Architects
Ink on Linen


Plan of grand staircase


Elevation of grand staircase


Detail from grand staircase

Copyright 1999. The Alexander Architectural Archive. The University of Texas at Austin. All images are in collections of the Alexander Architectural Archive. Images are either copyrighted by the University of Texas at Austin or are used in accordance with fair use laws. The exhibit (and the images therein) is provided for educational purposes only. Any unauthorized use or duplication is strictly prohibited.
Back Images Next