Date of Search:
- Step 1: Description of your invention
- A: how does your invention work?
- e.g. Two pieces of dissimilar material can be put together and taken apart repeatedly with little effort. When together it forms a unit
- B: what are the essential elements of your invention?
- e.g. Two different kinds of hooking elements, one flexible and one rigid.
- STEP 2: Using the Index to the Manual of Classification
- Select relevant class/subclass pairs.
Class/subclass number index term 5/103
- STEP 3: Using the Manual of Classification
- Look-up all class/subclass pairs from STEP 2.Class/subclass number title from the Manual
- STEP 4: Look up each classification in the Definitions.
- Watch for cross references and other useful information.
- STEP 5: Take class/subclass numbers to a patent database.
- Retrieve the patent numbers of patents housed in the selected classes.