Books and Journals
Books and Journals
Library Catalog - Locate any of eight million items, including books, journals, and other materials in the University of Texas Libraries collections.
Example Subject Heading Terms:
To see if we have a particular journal (i.e. Nature, Energy), either in print or electronic format, search the Catalog.
top of page
- Academic Search Complete - A good source for undergraduates; many full-text articles; interdisciplinary, with wide coverage of the applied sciences.
- Gale Virtual Reference Library (GVRL) - A database of encyclopedias, almanacs and specialized reference sources.
- CQ Researcher - Each report is written by an experienced journalist and features comments from experts, lawmakers and citizens on all sides of every issue with numerous charts, graphs and sidebar articles.
- Opposing Viewpoints Resource Center - Topics include bioethics, cloning, genetic engineering, water pollution, stem cells, renewable energy and more.
- Web of Science - A subject/author index unique in its cited-reference search (which scientific works have been cited and by whom).
Engineering & Architecture
- OnePetro - A multi-society library that provides a broad range of technical literature related to the oil and gas exploration and production industry.
- Compendex - Indexes scholarly journals and conferences in all areas of engineering.
- IEEE Xplore - Provides full-text access to IEEE and IEE journals, conference proceedings and current IEEE standards covering electrical and computer engineering, electronics, computer science and physics.
- Environment and Planning - Provides indexing to four journals devoted to urban planning, research and design.
- More Engineering databases
Company and Industry Information
- Business & Company Resource Center - Provides access to company profiles, company brand information, rankings, investment reports, company histories, chronologies and periodicals.
- Business Source Complete - A scholarly business database providing a collection of bibliographic and full-text content in all disciplines of business, including marketing, management, MIS, POM, accounting, finance and economics.
- Mergent Online - Provides immediate access to data on more than 10,000 NYSE, AMEX, Nasdaq and other select regional exchange companies.
- more Business databases
- PAIS International - Bibliographic index with abstracts covering the full range of political, social and public policy issues.
News & News wires
- Lexis/Nexis - Provides both full text and abstracts for a wide range of general-interest wire services, newspapers and magazines from around the world, including full text of the New York Times. Also provides access to company profiles and financial reports, government transcripts, trade journals and academic and legal databases.
- Factiva - A global information resource, providing full-text access to top national and international newspapers (including full text of the Wall Street Journal), news wires, business journals, market research reports, analysts reports and web sites.
- Newspaper Source - Provides full text for 20 U.S. & international newspapers; also contains selected full text for more than 230 regional (U.S.) newspapers. In addition, full-text television & radio news transcripts are provided from CBS News, FOX News, NPR and others.
- InfoTrac Newspapers - Provides full-text access to more than 100 newspapers, including titles of local interest like the Austin-American Statesman and the Houston Chronicle.
top of page
Government Agencies and Labs
Internet Search Engines
- WorldWideScience.org - Search science from worldwide databases.
- Google Scholar - Provides a search of scholarly literature across many disciplines and sources, including theses, books, abstracts and articles.
- INIS Database - International Nuclear Information System of the International Atomic Energy Agency. INIS represents the world's largest database of scientific and technical literature on a wide range of subjects from nuclear engineering, safeguards, and non-proliferation to applications in agriculture, health, and industry.
Interdisciplinary Research Centers
Academic Departments and Schools
University Research Centers
Advocacy and Grassroots Groups
top of page