Please remember that researching biomedical engineering topics can be challenging. There is no medical school/library at UT Austin which means there is limited access to clinical journals, and you will need to use Interlibrary Loan to gain access to materials not owned here.
- Academic Search Complete - A good source for undergraduates; many full-text articles; interdisciplinary, with good coverage of the applied sciences.
- Compendex - Indexes scholarly journals and conferences in all areas of engineering.
- PubMed - Provides access to MEDLINE plus additional information. For more information on comparing PubMed with other databases, please click here.
- IEEE Xplore - Indexing and full text of IEEE publications.
- Web of Science - Covers more than 12,000 journals in all subject area. Also includes citations to conference proceedings.
- INSPEC - Indexes scholarly literature in physics, electronics and electrical and computer engineering.
- BIOSIS Previews- Primary index of the literature of biology.
- CINAHL (Cumulative Index to Nursing & Allied Health) Plus with Full Text - Provides authoritative coverage of the literature related to nursing and allied health disciplines. Includes indexing for 3,001 journals with coverage as far back as 1937 and full text coverage for 336 journals.
- SciFinder Scholar - Provides access to the unabridged version of Chemical Abstracts as well as full-text American Chemical Society journals.
- Annual Reviews Online - Covers topics in biomedical, physical and social sciences.
- Dissertation Abstracts International - Contains more than 1.5 million entries representing the work of authors from more than 1,000 North American and European universities. All subject areas are covered.
- BioOne - Provides access to full text of more than 40 peer-reviewed journals and bulletins published by AIBS member societies and other closely related organizations.
- National Center for Biotechnology Information
- To see if we have a particular journal (i.e. Nature, Biomechanics), either in print or electronic format, search the Catalog.
- To see if a particular journal is available in electronic format, search Find a Journal.
Internet Journals/Open Access
Library Catalog - Locate any of eight million items, including books, journals and other materials in the University of Texas Libraries collections.
Example Subject Heading Terms
- Biomedical Engineering
- Biomedical Materials
- Computational biology
- Gene Therapy
- Genetic Engineering
- Medical instruments and apparatus
- Medical Technology
- Molecular Biology
- Tissue Engineering
Biomedical technology and devices handbook, 2004
R 856.15 B565 2004 Life Science Library
Encyclopedia of biomaterials and biomedical engineering. 2004
R 857 M3 E53 2008 V.1-4 Engineering Library Reference
Encyclopedia of medical devices and instrumentation. 2006 Table of contents
R 856 A3 E53 2006 V.1-6 Engineering Library Reference
Wiley encyclopedia of biomedical engineering. 2006 Table of contents
R 856 A3 W55 2006 V.1-6 Engineering Library Reference
The Biomedical engineering handbook, 2006
- eBook Collection - Currently more than 50,000 ebook titles in all subject areas are available online to UT Austin users. Included are scholarly, reference and professional works from leading university, academic and professional publishers.
- ebrary Computers, Engineering and Applied Sciences Collection
- BIOSCIENCEnetBASE: Biology References Online
- STAT!Ref - Provides full-text access to key medical reference sources and textbooks. The library has a limited number of users for STAT!Ref. Please select the Logoff option before you leave your session.
- Gale Virtual Reference Library - Dozens of reference sources in many subjects.
- Kirk-Othmer Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology Online - Reference source covering chemical and process engineering, industrial and applied chemistry, materials science, polymer science, biotechnology and more.
- Online Reference Sites - Various encyclopedias, almanacs, directories.
- Encyclopedia of the Human Brain - Covering anatomy, physiology, neuropsychology, clinical neurology, neuropharmacology, evolutionary biology, genetics and behavioral science.
- AHFS Drug Information (STAT!Ref)
- Concise Medical Dictionary (Oxford Reference Online)
- Current Emergency Diagnosis and Treatment (STAT!Ref)
- Current Medical Diagnosis and Treatment (STAT!Ref)
- Current Pediatric Diagnosis and Treatment (STAT!Ref)
- Dictionary of Medical Acronyms and Abbreviations (STAT!Ref)
- Dictionary of Medicines (Oxford Reference Online)
- Dictionary of Nursing (Oxford Reference Online)
- Gale Encyclopedia of Medicine (eBook Collection)
- Gale Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders (eBook Collection)
- Goodman and Gilman's The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics (STAT!Ref)
- Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine (STAT!Ref)
- Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy (Merck)
- Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy (STAT!Ref)
- Mosby's Drug Consult (STAT!Ref)
- Nursing Diagnosis Reference Manual (STAT!Ref)
- Redbook: Report of the Committee on Infectious Diseases (STAT!Ref)
- USP Dispensing Information, Advice for the Patient (STAT!Ref)
- Food and Drug Administration, Center for Devices and Radiological Health (CDRH)
- National Center for Biotechnology Information
- National Center for Health Statistics
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- NIH Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering
- NIH Stem Cell Information
- National Library of Medicine
- GQuery - A gateway to searching a variety of databases including PubMed, a protein sequence database, a nucleotide sequence database, etc.
- The Visible Human Project - Complete, anatomically detailed, three-dimensional representations of the normal male and female human bodies. Acquisition of transverse CT, MR and cryosection images of representative male and female cadavers has been completed.
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
Professional Organizations and Society Web Sites
- American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE)
- American Medical Association (AMA)
- American Society of Biomechanics (ASB)
- Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation (AAMI)
- Association of Biomolecular Resource Facilities
- Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES)
- Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO)
- Controlled Release Society (CRS)
- Human Factors and Ergonomics Society
- IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (IEEE EMBS)
- Institute of Biological Engineering (IBE)
- International Federation for Medical and Biological Engineering (IFMBE )
- International Society of Biomechanics (ISB)
- National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering (NIBIB)
- Society for Biological Engineering
- Society for Biomaterials (SFB)
- The Whitaker Foundation
- BioMed Central - is an independent publishing house committed to providing immediate open access to peer-reviewed biomedical research"
- Public Library of Science (PLoS)- is a world leading provider of freely accessible peer-reviewed online research, just keeps on growing.
- INFORMINE - Scholarly Internet Resource Collections
- OAIster - OAIster is a union catalog of digital resources. We provide access to these digital resources by "harvesting" their descriptive metadata (records) using OAI-PMH (the Open Archives Initiative Protocol for Metadata Harvesting).
If you need further assistance don't hesitate to ask a librarian!
Get Help (Common questions and answers about library services)
- InterLibrary Services Borrowing will obtain books, article photocopies, and other material not owned by the University of Texas libraries. It is available to UT faculty, staff and students.