Florence Ralston Brooke Fund for Library Books
Ms. Brooke, an Austin school teacher, bequeathed real estate at 603 West 28th Street to The University in 1944. Income from the rent or investment of the sale price was used to establish the Brooke Fund. The rent was used as a source of income for the Fund until the house was sold in 1956 and the money invested.
Ms. Brooke specified that the books purchased with the investment proceeds from the endowment should be "beautiful books of permanent value that under usual conditions would be beyond the Library's purchasing funds."