Nomenclature and Terminology
Written language is inadequate for expressing the precise structure and composition of a molecule. Despite the best efforts of IUPAC and other groups to establish standard rules for naming compounds, the only unambiguous way to depict a substance is with a structural formula. The name of a particular substance can vary according to the source used: CAS, CRC, Beilstein, etc. all use different nomenclature conventions. Chemists instead use acronyms, trivial names, and trade names as shorthand. All titles are in the reference collection unless otherwise noted.
- Concise etymological dictionary of chemistry.
- (Applied Science, 1976)
- QD 5 B57
- Definitions and origins of prefixes, suffixes, and other parts of chemical terminology.
- GABCOM & GABMET : acronyms of compounds and methods in chemistry and
- (Springer, 1993)
- QD 7 G22 1993
- Dictionary of acronyms commonly used as shorthand for reagents and methods in the chemical literature.
- Hawley's condensed chemical dictionary.
- (15th ed., Wiley, 2007)
- QD 5 C5 2007
- A good all-around dictionary of chemistry, strong on defining classes of compounds, functional groups, important substances, techniques, equipment, etc.
- Naming and indexing of chemical substances for Chemical Abstracts.
- CA Index Guide, Appendix IV
- More than you'd ever want to know about how CAS names the substances it registers. Shelved with Chemical Abstracts.
- Nomenclature of organic chemistry.
- (Pergamon, 1979)
- QD 291 I57 1979
- E-Book version
- IUPAC's "blue book" of collected recommendations on nomenclature of hydrocarbons, heterocyclic systems, and others, plus sections on stereochemistry, natural products, and isotopically modified compounds.
- USP dictionary of USAN and international drug names.
- (USP, 1995-)
- RS 55 U54
- Annual dictionary of generic and brand names and CAS Registry Numbers for drugs, published as part of the U.S. Pharmacopeia.
- The Vocabulary and concepts of organic chemistry.
- (2nd ed., Wiley, 2005)
- QD 291 C55 2005
- Not a typical alphabetical dictionary, but a series of topical chapters grouping organic concepts and defining terms in context, with examples. Consult the index and table of contents.
Chemical Names and Structures
Dictionaries and Encyclopedias