Checking Out Library Materials
Materials in the Chemistry Library usually circulate according to the same policies in force throughout the Libraries. Remember that you must present a valid UT ID card or Courtesy Borrower Card to check out any materials from the library. See the Borrower Services
page for more information on the basics on loan periods, holds and recalls, fines, etc. . These are the materials for which there are special loan policies in the Chemistry Library:
- Reserves Books
- Most reserve books can be checked out for two hours. Two-hour books may be checked out overnight one hour before closing time. Overnight items are due one hour after opening the next open day. Reserves items may only be renewed, in person at the desk, IF another copy is available at the time. Reserves materials can't be renewed via the Library Catalog.
- New Book Shelf
- New books added to the circulating collection generally remain on the New Book Shelf for a month before moving to the regular stacks. Items on the New Book Shelf can be checked out for 14 days and should not be renewed.
- Bound volumes and unbound journal issues may be checked out for two hours or until closing, whichever is sooner. Overnight checkout is not permitted.
- Storage Materials
- Some materials from the Chemistry Library's collection are currently housed in the Library Storage Facility (LSF) on the Pickle Research Campus, and in the Collections Deposit Library (CDL) at MLK and Red River. LSF materials are mostly older, ceased, or foreign-language journals, and older, infrequently used books. CDL houses a number of large journals to which we have online access.
UT-affiliated patrons may request scanning of articles (click the "Get a Scan" button, see below) or retrieval of physical items (click the "Pick It Up" button in the Catalog). Non-affiliated patrons can request storage items for in-library use by submitting a request card at the circulation desk, or phone or email the Chemistry Library in advance. Turnaround time is 2 business days. When the item arrives it will be held for you and you'll get an email alert. Storage books circulate like normal books; journal volumes from storage may be checked out for 3 days or copied in-house. Fragile items are restricted to in-library use.
- Microfilm reels and microfiche may be checked out for copying in another library, since Chemistry does not have a microform printer. If checking out fiche, remember to take the whole envelope, not just the sheet you want. Microform printers are located in Engineering and PCL.
- Reference and Spectra Collections
- Books from the Reference or Spectra Collections are non-circulating, but may be checked out for a brief period with the permission of the librarian.
- Calculators and rulers are available for two-hour checkout at the desk. We also have some small molecular model kits.
- Pick It Up and Get a Scan Services
- The Pick It Up service allows you to place a request for an eligible circulating book or AV item that is either 1) available for checkout in a campus library, or 2) checked out to someone else, and have that book delivered to the library of your choice. Click the Pick It Up button in the Library Catalog record to start.
- The "Get a Scan" service: If you want an article from an eligible journal or a book chapter scanned, click the button on the full record in the Library Catalog. Log into your ILS account and enter the bibliographic information. Library staff will make a free PDF scan of the item for you, which you can then retrieve online. Turnaround time is 1-3 business days. Some materials are not eligible for scanning and articles/chapters must be less than 50 pages.