Texas Banned Books: Questions and Answers (TXBBQ&A)
Wednesday, September 24, 2014 - 6:00pm to 8:00pm
At the Perry-Castañeda Library (PCL) , 2.500
What does “book banning” look like in 2014?
Join us for “Texas Banned Books: Questions and Answers” (TXBBQ&A), an interactive discussion on censorship and the First Amendment. We are defining "banned" and "books" broadly in order to consider a wide range of challenged and controversial thought and expression in 2014: in school curricula, in prisons, and online. Maley Thompson, of the Department of English, will moderate the discussion among five distinguished panelists:
· Tony Diaz, a book smuggler with Librotraficante, which brings contraband books back to Arizona.
· Owen Egerton, screenwriter, novelist, and local activist, and performs as MC of Master Pancake.
· Dan Murphy, Project Coordinator for Inside Books Project, an organization which sends free books to prisoners in Texas.
· Dr. Loriene Roy, Professor, UT-Austin School of Information, 2007-2008 President of the American Library Association.
· Satinder Singh, Staff Attorney, ACLU of Texas, which defends targets of discrimination and protects civil liberties in the digital age.
Audience members are invited to weigh in and share their burning questions about censorship. BBQ Chips will be provided, in keeping with our theme.