|Libraries Home | Mobile | My Account | Renew Items | Sitemap | Help|
Select a method to view the page:
Comanche and Grampus. He bought Captain O'Donnel's interest in the business during the following two years, and in 1865 the new firm of King, Kenedy ∧ Co. was formed, Charles Stillman having retired. The two firms, during their existence, built and purchased twenty-six boats for trade. In 1874 the firm was dissolved and divided assets. During this time Captain Kenedy served under Major Heitzleman, in the U. S. Army, during the Cortina raid and was Captain of Co. A., 1859.
Captain Richard King established the Santa Gertrude ranch in Nueces county, Texas, in 1852, and Captain Kenedy bought half interest in it in 1860. They dissolved partnership in this undertaking in 1868, taking share and share alike of cattle, horses and sheep. Capt. King, by agreement reserved Santa Gertrudes ranch, Captain Kenedy buying from Charles Stillman the Laureles ranch consisting of twelve and a half leagues of land, 10,000 cattle, and many horses and sheep, and he moved thereto at once. After the Civil War so many thieves, marauders and outlaws remained on the frontier that Captain King saw that the only effectual way to protect their cattle interests was to fence. Captain Kenedy enclosed 132,000 acres of the Laureles, and Captain King enclosed his pastures. They were the first cattle raisers in the state to fence large bodies of land. Captain Kenedy remained on the Laureles ranch until he sold it in 1882 to Underwood, Clark ∧and; Co. of Kansas City, for $1,000,000 cash. At the time of the sale it contained 242,000 acres of land, all fenced, 50,000 head of cattle and 5,000 head of horses, mares and mules.
Colonel Uriah Lott projected the Corpus Christi, San Diego ∧and; Rio Grande narrow gauge railroad from Corpus Christi to Laredo in 1876, and with the assistance of Captains Kenedy and King built the road and sold it to the Mexican National Construction Company in 1881. Captain Kenedy also supplied the money with which