|Libraries Home | Mobile | My Account | Renew Items | Sitemap | Help|
Select a method to view the page:
master, and was ordered to proceed with the Corvette to the mouth of the Rio Grande and report to E. A. Ogden, assistant quartermaster, U. S. A. One of the reasons for selecting him for this work was his experience in conducting light boats over the Gulf. He reached the station at the mouth of the Rio Grande in June, 1846, and from that time until the close of the Mexican War transported troops and provisions to Matamoras, Reynosa, Camargo and other points on the river. After the victory of Buena Vista, and while moving on Vera Cruz, General Winfield Scott stopped at the mouth of the Rio Grande, desiring to consult with General Worth. Captain Kenedy's vessel, the Corvette, was selected to take General Scott and staff up the river.
Captain Richard King joined Captain Kenedy in May, 1847, and acted as pilot of the Corvette until the close of the war, in 1848. Both were thoroughly experienced seamen and rendered their country good service. At the end of the Mexican war, Captain Kenedy, Samuel Belden and Captain James Walworth bought a large number of mules and wagons and a stock of merchandise and started for San Juan, is the state of Jalisco, Mexico, but sold their outfit at Zacatecas and returned to Matamoras where they divided the proceeds of the trip and dissolved partnership. Captain Kenedy immediately purchased another stock of goods and, with his merchandise loaded on pack-mules started for the interior of Mexico. At Monterey he sold out and returned to Brownsville, reaching there in the spring of 1850.
Seeing the necessity of good boats on the Rio Grande, he then formed a partnership with Capt. Richard King, Captain James O'Donnel and Mr. Charles Stillman, under the name of M. Kenedy & Co. The firm's purpose was to build boats and run them on the Rio Grande and along the Gulf Coast to Brazos, Santiago. Captain Kenedy proceeded to Pittsburg, Pa., and built two boats, the