|Libraries Home | Mobile | My Account | Renew Items | Sitemap | Help|
Select a method to view the page:
was almost in touch with the red brutes, shooting and being shot at. The cattle were scattered also and while they were being gathered he returned to Weatherford for a new supply of horses.
In 1877, he and W. B. Slaughter, with a combined capital of $6,000 entered the business together, buying steers and driving them up the trail to market, continuing until 1890, when he established a ranch in Blanco Canyon on Catfish River, on which he placed 2,000 cattle and remained five years. He then moved to Socorro county, New Mexico, and, in 1886 sold to an English syndicate for $125,000, and went to Utah, establishing a ranch on Green River, 30 miles east of Salt Lake City and remained there for two years. Returning to New Mexico he located near the Texas line and kept this ranch two years. In 1890 he moved to Glasscock county Texas, where he had a ranch of 160 sections, 6,000 head of cattle and 100 head of horses and was president of the Peoples' National Bank of Colorado City.
In 1898 he moved to Fort Worth, Texas, and built one of the handsomest homes, at that time, in the city. At about the same time he sold his Glasscock county ranch and leased ranches in Garza and Borden counties. This, being state land, was thrown on the market and in 1901 he bought the Square and Compass Ranch of 150,- 000 acres from the Nave-McCord Cattle Co., at $1.60 per acre, together with five thousand head of cattle. Six thousand head of cattle were brought up from the Glasscock county ranch. After living in Fort Worth seven years he moved with his family to the ranch in Garza county and built one of the finest homes in West Texas.
In 1906 he sold 50,000 acres to C. W. Post, of Post Toasties and Grape Nuts fame, who was building a town and colonizing large tracts of land in Garza county. The town of Post, named after its founder, is the shipping point for the ranch and is located on the Santa Fe Railroad. The ranch as it now stands is amply watered