|Libraries Home | Mobile | My Account | Renew Items | Sitemap | Help|
Select a method to view the page:
The Stafford and Sam Allen families were old and intimate friends, in fact Mr. Stafford and Mr. Allen were long business partners and shipped cattle to Havana. Miss Myra often made long visits to the Sam Allen home at Harrisburg, and always had a splendid time.
Mrs. Pryor lived for twenty-five years at Columbus, but many of her old neighbors there have passed away or have moved to other cities. She loves the old Columbus oaks. There was one, across from her house, in which the wisteria had climbed, and when in bloom, mingling with the long floating grey moss, made a picture for fairy land. In Mrs. Pryor's opinion, the oaks of Columbus are unsurpassed in beauty and size.
Mrs. Pryor's father also owned a ranch in Wharton county, and she is familiar with all the small towns in those sections of the state, near her father's holdings. Eagle Lake was in those days a great resort, people would go to hunt and fish and picnic and have a great time. Alligators of all sizes used to inhabit the lake when she was a child and at times frightened the children by their roars.
Mrs. Pryor counts as one of her priceless relics an old flintlock gun used by her great-grandfather in the Revolutionary War. He, too, was a Robert Stafford. At the meeting of the Old Trail Drivers' Association she presented to Mr. Jack W. Baylor, an embossed leather belt ornamented with chased silver and gold buckle and side ornaments, and long worn by Brigadier General. John A. Baylor, and presented by him, about 1885, to his old friend, Robert E. Stafford of Wharton and Colorado county. Mr. Stafford bequeathed it to his widow, who in turn left it to his daughter. Mrs. Pryor gave it to this particular grandson of General Baylor because he had always been kind and attentive to his aunt, Mrs. A. Burkes, who is a special friend of Mrs. Pryor.
Mr. and Mrs. Pryor were married in 1893, and moved to San Antonio in 1896. They were both elected officers