The Geology Foundation
The key to the progress and success of our department con tinues in large part to be the Geology Foundation and the ac tivities of the men who constitute its Advisory Council.
The Foundation was created in 1953 to provide support for geological education at The University of Texas by seeking gifts of funds and other material. It is a non-profit organiza tion authorized by the University to receive and administer gifts to it, and all gifts are tax-deductible. Foundation funds have purchased the important "extras" that make for excel lence — scholarships, faculty travel and research grants, library books, equipment, etc.
The Advisory Council of the Foundation is composed of leading industrial geologists, and they usually meet twice each year in Austin, at their own expense, to review the aims and needs of the department and to advise the faculty. They spend many hours in planning for the department and in fund rais ing, and have made significant contributions to the Foundation themselves.
New Council member William B. Heroy, Jr.
The Council is headed by Tom Barrow, Senior Vice-Presi dent of Humble Oil & Refining Company, and its membership now totals twenty-two. Members re-elected for a three-year term at the May 1968 Council Meeting included George H. Coates, William W. Moore, Jr., John T. Rouse, William T. Smith and Sheridan A. Thompson. While the Council suffered the loss of two of its members this year — Dilworth S. Hager, who died in January 1968 and W. Dow Hamm, who resigned in April 1968 — it gained three new Councilors. Invited by Chancellor Harry Ransom to serve on the Council were Julius Babisak, George R. Gibson and William B. Heroy, Jr., and we are pleased to announce their acceptance.
Julius Babisak is General Manager of Exploration of North America for Atlantic Richfield Company in Dallas, and has been with that company for over twenty years. He received
both his B.A. and M.A. degrees in geology from Ohio State University.
Bill Heroy is Assistant President of Teledyne, Inc., in Gar land, Texas. He received his A.B. dgree from Dartmouth in 1937 and his Ph.D. from Princeton in 1941. He is a Fellow and Councilor of GSA and is First-Vice-President of AGI. He holds memberships in other national organizations and is active in many civic affairs in Dallas
George Gibson is an Independent Consultant in Midland, Texas.
Thomas D. Barrow, Humble Oil & Refining Company, P. 0. Box 2180, Houston, Texas, Chairman. Julius Babisak, Atlantic Richfield Company, P. 0. Box 2819, Dallas, Texas. John F. Bookout, Shell Oil Company, P. 0. Box 60193, New Orleans, Louisiana. Leslie Bowling, 316 California Building, New Orleans, Louisiana. Ray A. Burke, Union Oil Company of California, P. 0. Box 7600, Los Angeles, California. George H. Coates, 1610 Milam Building, San Antonio, Texas. Morgan J. Davis, 1300 Main Street, Suite 709, Houston, Texas. I. Grady Davis, Gulf Oil Corporation, P. O. Box 1166, Pitts burgh, Pennsylvania. George R. Gibson, Midland National Bank Building, Mid land, Texas. J. Nalle Gregory, 504 San Angelo National Bank Building, San Angelo, Texas. William B. Heroy, Jr., Teledyne, Inc., 3401 Shiloh Road, Garland, Texas. Jack C. Kern, Standard Oil Company of Texas, Box 66247- Fairview Station, Houston, Texas. G. Moses Knebel, Jr., No. 10 Paddington Road, Scarsdale, New York. Leonard F. McCollum, Continental Oil Company, P. O. Box 2197, Houston, Texas. William W. Moore Jr., Texaco, Inc., P. O. Box 2100 : Den ver, Colorado. Ed W. Owen, 530 Milam Building, San Antonio, Texas. O. Scott Petty, Petty Geophysical Company, P. O. Box 2061, San Antonio, Texas. John T. Rouse, Mobil Oil Corporation, P. 0. Box 1774, Hous ton, Texas. William T. Smith, Pan American Petroleum Corporation, 2601 Security Life Building, Denver, Colorado. Sheridan A. Thompson, Mobil Oil Corporation, P. O. Box 900, Dallas, Texas. E. A. Wendlandt, 524 Park Heights Circle, Tyler, Texas. Charles E. Yager, 3801 Potomac Street, Fort Worth, Texas. L. T. Barrow, 3314 Chevy Chase Drive, Houston, Texas, Hon orary Life Member.