Graduate student conference room on the fourth floor show ing the nineteen different varieties of polished stone.
(Above) Typical classroom in the new building. (Below) Faculty conference room on the third floor.
basement door directly into a receiving room with adjacent grinding and mineral separation rooms. Space has been re served for development of future geophysical laboratories. Air conditioning is also an exceedingly welcome feature of the new building. Summer teaching and research in the old building were formerly rather uncomfortable, as most geology alumni can recall. Perhaps more teaching will now be done in the summer and more field projects in the spring and fall when Texas weather is more suitable. Not entirely without regrets did faculty members leave their former quarters. The "old Geology Building" isn't old, and it holds countless pleasant memories. It also has some qualities not equalled by the new building, including its better location and that wonderful frieze of fossil shells with the terra cotta panels of dinosaurs, trilobites, and other geologic items de signed by Fred Bullard. The building was first put in use in 1933, and it served its purpose well. Nearly one-tenth of the geologists in the United States today received some part of their training there ! It is being completely overhauled for use as biology classrooms, expansion of the adjoining Computa tion Center, and offices of the Hogg Foundation for Mental Health. The Hogg Foundation was originally scheduled to share space in the new Geology Building, but a happy ex change of space and building names was worked out.
Unusual shot of the north entrance to the building. This gives a good view of the "sunshades."