The Geology Foundation
The Geology Foundation was created in 1953 as a non-profit organization to receive and administer funds donated for im proving geologic education and research at The University of Texas. Gifts to the Foundation have provided library books, scholarships, special equipment, travel and study grants for faculty, expenses of visiting lecturers and other items that make for excellence. No other factor contributes so effectively to the successful operation of the Geology Department as does the Foundation.
Guidance of the Foundation is in the hands of an Advisory Council comprised of outstanding non-university geologists. The Council meets twice each year in Austin, with members attending at their own expense, to guide the activities of the Foundation and to advise the geology faculty. At other times during the year they help to raise funds and contribute gen erously themselves, and we deeply appreciate the interest, en couragement and assistance given by these men.
Advisory Council Members
Thomas D. Barrow, Humble Oil & Refining Company, Post Office Box 2180, Houston, Texas, Chairman.
John F. Bookout, Jr., Shell Oil Company, 1700 Broadway, Denver, Colorado.
Leslie Bowling, 316 California Building, New Orleans, Louisiana.
Ray A. Burke, Union Oil Company of California, Post Office Box 7600, Los Angeles, California.
George H. Coates, 1610 Milam Building, San Antonio, Texas.
Morgan J. Davis, 1300 Main Street, Houston, Texas. I. Grady Davis, Gulf Oil Corporation, Post Office Box 1166,
J. Nalle Gregory, 504 San Angelo National Bank Building, San Angelo, Texas.
Dilworth S. Hager, 1301 Mercantile Securities Building, Dallas, Texas.
Newest members of the Geology Foundation Advisory Council are (left) John F. Bookout, Jr. and (right) Ray A. Burke.
At the meeting of the Council in May 1966, Wayne F. Bowman was unanimously elected to Honorary Life Member ship in the Council. Wayne has been a loyal and generous friend and has worked untiringly as a Council member; we owe him a large debt of gratitude. Members re-elected for a three-year term were Leslie Bowling, Jack C. Kern, Ed W. Owen, E. A. Wendlandt and Charles A. Yager.
Two new members were invited by the University Chan cellor to serve on the Council and we are proud to announce their acceptance. They are John F. Bookout, Jr., who replaces James Lee Wilson, and Ray A. Burke, who replaces Wayne Bowman. John received his B.S. degree in 1949 and his M.A. degree in 1950, both from UT, and is Vice-President of Shell Oil Company in Denver, Colorado. Ray took his B.S. at Texas in 1947, and is Senior Vice-President of Union Oil Company of California in Los Angeles. A complete list of Council mem
bers is given below,
W. Dow Hamm, Atlantic Richfield Company, Post Office Box 2819, Dallas, Texas.
Jack C. Kern, Standard Oil Company of Texas, Box 66247- Fairview r Station, Houston, Texas.
G. Moses Knebel, No. 10 Paddington Road, Scarsdale, New York.
Leonard F. McCollum, Continental Oil Company, Post Office Box 2197, Houston, Texas.
Ed W. Ow r EN, 532 Milam Building, San Antonio, Texas.
O. Scott Petty, Petty Geophysical Company, Post Office Box 2061, San Angelo, Texas.
John T. Rouse, Mobil Oil Corporation, Post Office Box 1774, Houston, Texas.
William T. Smith, Pan American Petroleum Corporation, 2601 Security Life Building, Denver, Colorado.
S. A. Thompson, Mobil Oil Corporation, Post Office Box 900,