NO. 11, JULY 1962
Editors: Samuel P. Ellison, Jr., Stephen E. Clabaugh and Irma Jo Morgan
New Building For Geology
On April 29, 1962 the Regents of The University of Texas announced approval of the construction of a new $2,250,000 building which will house the Department of Geology and the Bureau of Economic Geology. This is a long-awaited and significant development. It will bring all geology teachers and researchers working in the main campus area together under one roof. The libraries and map collections of the De partment and Bureau will be combined to form the leading geological library in the Southwest, with room to gather one of the finest collections of geological reference materials in the world. Exchange of personnel between Bureau and teach ing staff will be facilitated, although the Bureau will continue to serve primarily as a state geological survey rather than a research organization of the University. The new building will
First Geology Laboratory, about 1918. Geology occupied one-half of the building.
be fully air-conditioned, and it will provide reasonable en largement of classroom, laboratory and office space. Research laboratories and working space for graduate students will be greatly expanded, in keeping with recent growth of geologic instruction at the Ph.D. level. The additional space will per mit more intensive development of teaching and research in selected fields such as Geomorphology, Sedimentology, Ground Water Geology, Geochemistry, and Geophysics. The new building will be located about one long block due east of the present Geology Building between the Chemical Engineering Building and the new Drama Building. It will be on the north side of a new East Mall which will run from the Main Building east to San Jacinto Street. The East Mall will become the main entrance to the campus when it is completed, and the Regents have already approved funds for immediate construction of the Mall. The new building will be about twice the size of the present one, and it will provide space for general classrooms in ad dition to facilities designed expressly for geologic use. The
Second Geology Laboratory, about 1920. Geology occupied all of this building.
Regents have designated it the Will C. Hogg Building in recognition of the Texas financier who was one of the greatest supporters and benefactors of the University. Will Hogg, son of Governor James S. Hogg (for whom Hogg Auditorium was named), was not a geologist, although he gave the first endowed scholarships in geology at The University of Texas in honor of two geologists with whom he was associated. Planning for the new building has already begun, and construction will soon follow. The present Geology Building will be air-conditioned and remodeled for use as biology laboratories and general classrooms. Many of us will leave the old building regretfully. More geologists have been trained there than in any other building in the world, and from sub basement to attic it is crammed with memories. But we will build new traditions and greater accomplishments to match the new and larger building.
Present Geology Building, completed in 1933. Old B Hall to the right has been torn down and a new Computation Center now occupies the foreground.