Guerrero Viejo Revealed : An exhibit of photographs by Everardo Castro Medellín and W. Eugene George, 1983-2005
Revilla, founded as a Spanish community in 1750, was renamed for the insurgent Vicente Guerrero after Mexican independence in 1821. In 1953, the town site, known today as Guerrero Viejo, was flooded by the completion of the International Falcon Reservoir on the Rio Grande. Due to the receding waters of Falcon Lake in recent years, the buildings and the central plaza of Guerrero Viejo have become a tourist mecca. Several important buildings have been stabilized by Mexican preservation programs.