David Adame Papers on View at Benson
Items from the David Adame Papers are currently on display in the Benson Main Reading Room. Adame was a longtime member of the League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC) Council #60 in Houston and the Club Recreativo y Cultural México Bello (CMB), a Houston-area social club.
Born in Houston, Texas, in April 1918, Adame joined the Civilian Conservation Core in Linden, Texas, after graduating from high school in May 1937. He fought in the Pacific Theatre in World War II. After his discharge from the military in 1946, Adame attended the Southwestern Business College in Houston, majoring in business administration. He began working as an insurance salesman in the Houston area upon his graduation in 1952.
Adame became a member of LULAC in 1948, joining Council #60 in Houston. He served the organization in a number of offices at the district, state, and national levels, including District Director, State Director, National Business Manager, and National Chaplain. Adame was voted LULAC Man of the Year for 1954–1955 and 1967–1968. He served as chaplain of LULAC #60 six months after joining the council; he also served three separate terms on the Scholarship Committee.
On May 7–9, 1965, in his capacity as State Director, Adame presided over the Texas LULAC State Convention in Lubbock, Texas, where the major topic of discussion was the establishment of the LULAC Jobs for Progress Center in Houston. Adame was instrumental in the creation of multiple LULAC Job Placement Centers throughout the state of Texas, which soon after led to the initiation of the non-profit employment organization, Operation SER (Service, Employment, Redevelopment). Adame would serve as State Chairman on the Board of Operation for SER until 1968. From 1954 to 2003, he was an active member of the Club Recreativo y Cultural México Bello (CMB) in Houston, a social club founded in 1924 for Mexican Americans. Adame served its president from 1954 to 1956, and compiled a short history of the CMB for the celebration of the club’s fiftieth anniversary in 1996.