image image
Photo of "Escobar Field"
Click image to return to Escobar Collection Homepage

Escobar's Work with LULAC

exhibit image
Zavala School
click for larger image

"The Facts"
click for larger image
As chairperson of LULAC's Committee for Playground and School Facilities, Escobar worked to document the inequalities between schools located on the west-side of San Antonio, which were predominantly attended by Mexican Americans, versus schools located on the east-side, attended by whites. This documentation was established in a multitude of ways which included: photographing inadequate school conditions, comparing taxation and school spending between the west-side and the east-side, comparing student/teacher ratios, size of schools and number of schools on the east and west-side. This documentation was formally presented to the School Board of San Antonio in a series of meetings in early 1934 and is summarized in a single sheet entitled "The Facts."

The figures given in this document indicate that the west-side had a population of 12,334 students attending 11 schools located on a total of 24 acres, while on the east-side 12,224 students attended 28 schools with a total of 82 acres. Additional figures state that 65% of the city's total investment in public schools was vested in east-side schools, with the remaining 35% in west-side schools.

A series of meetings followed the initial presentation of evidence to the school board, and the strength of the case made by the LULAC Comittee for Playground and School Facilities headed by Escobar, caused the board to authorize the immediate purchase of 15 frame rooms from the Peacock Military Academy and to transfer them to the west-side where they were christened the "Zavala School." This low-budget solution was strongly criticized as being a political ploy on the part of the school board. However, the other concession made by the school board, a survey of west-side school conditions to be performed by the University of Texas, was welcomed by the LULAC committee which anticipated an affirmation of their own findings.