Architecture exhibition celebrates endowment
AUSTIN, Texas (August 31, 2005) - An exhibition featuring architectural drawings and archival material highlighting the legacy of architect Herbert Miller Greene (1871-1932) will be on display in the Architecture and Planning Library at The University of Texas at Austin from August 31 through December 20, 2005.
"The Architectural Legacy of Herbert Miller Greene" celebrates the establishment of the John Greene Taylor Endowment for Collections Enhancement and recognizes the importance of Herbert Miller Greene's contributions to the field of architecture.
The exhibition is a collaborative effort by the Alexander Architectural Archive, the Architecture and Planning Library and the School of Architecture's Visual Resources Collection. It focuses on Herbert M. Greene's Dallas architecture, his Masonic commissions and the University of Texas buildings he designed.
Herbert Miller Greene built over ninety projects throughout Texas and other U.S. cities, and founded one of the oldest continuously operating architectural firms in Texas. In 1922, Greene received a ten-year contract from the University of Texas at Austin to succeed the esteemed Cass Gilbert as university architect, where he worked with associates Edwin B. LaRoche and George L. Dahl on designs for over fifteen buildings on campus. The following year, Greene was the first Texas architect to be elected a Fellow of the American Institute of Architects.
Since 1999, the John Greene Taylor Endowment for Collections Enhancement has funded the arrangement, description and preservation of Herbert M. Greene materials in the Alexander Architectural Archive (including those from the Greene LaRoche and Dahl Collection and from the University of Texas Buildings Collection), as well as the preparation of this exhibit. The endowment-established by Greene's grandson John Greene Taylor-supports the Architecture and Planning Library, the Alexander Architectural Archive and the School of Architecture's Visual Resources Collection by providing funds for collection cataloging, digitization, acquisition and outreach, including exhibitions and publications.
The Alexander Architectural Archive and Architecture and Planning Library are units of the University of Texas Libraries located in historic Battle Hall on the UT Austin campus. These libraries house materials related to architecture, landscape architecture, interior design, historic preservation and community and regional planning. The Archive is open to researchers by appointment only. Archival collection inventories may be searched through Texas Archival Resources Online at: http://www.lib.utexas.edu/taro/. The School of Architecture's Visual Resources Collection in Sutton Hall serves the instructional and research needs of the university's faculty and students.
Article published on August 30, 2005 - 11:00pm